Monday, August 22, 2011

Karina's birthday party (part 1)

IMG_0389

I really had a lot of fun getting ready for my little lady's birthday this year. And hearing all her ooooh's and aaaaah's while I set up made it even more wonderful. She really is at an age where she appreciate's things so much more. This to me was kinda a big birthday for her. I don't know what it is about 5 that just sounds so much older. It's like she is graduating into little girlhood instead of seeming like a toddler so much. And though I know I will miss all the littleness we leave behind I can't begin to tell you how VERY excited I am for all that lies ahead.


But I will quit my going on and on and get to the party! I am loving these pompom's lately. It is such a simple and easy decoration. Oh and they are cheap too! But they pack a big punch of color.


IMG_0388

IMG_0393

IMG_0394

I love decorating with jelly beans too. Such a great instant touch of color as well. And here is the cake. What? You can't see the cake you say? Well that's because I put a ton of stuff on top. :) I know it's not your normal practice to make a cake and then cover it with material. But this was a little more simple to do then try and make THE cake a sleeping bag. After all her party was a sleep over. So the cake was created to look like a shag rug in a room. And funny enough the material I used for the reusable sleeping bag and curtains in the back drop is the same fabric as Karina's curtians in her room!


IMG_0396

IMG_0402

We all enjoyed a yummy pizza dinner before pulling out the cake. I like looking at this next picture because I didn't realize how shiny and clean the floor was before. Is that a reflection I see? It's not always like that. :)


IMG_0404

IMG_0420

This game is something I found on Martha Stewarts site and I thought it was too cute. The kids had a great time playing it and I would include all those pictures but there are many. The dress Karina is wearing is a sweet little pillow case dress. Pillow/ sleep over. You see the connection. :)

I bought it on etsy and was tickled it had a little doll dress too for her to use on her dolls.


IMG_0379

IMG_0453

After playing the game I told the kids that they all played so well that everyone was getting a prize. They loved that idea. And my mom gave me the idea of buying different colored pencils and erasers to pass out since I didn't want candy or junky little toys. I was suprised they all thought that was cool and it was perfect with school starting.


Karina's room always takes a good beating when we have everyone over and I am so ok with that since they have a great time. It's not that big of a room so it's easy to make what looks like a huge mess. No it wasn't all this sweet little guy. :)


IMG_0437

IMG_0463


It was really sweet seeing her face in these shots afterwards and to know that she really had a great time. What a blessing she is to her daddy and me.

IMG_0468

IMG_0469

IMG_0489

IMG_0495

YUM!!


IMG_0505

And then it was on to presents. Like I said before she was so appreciative of all her gifts and we thought it was pretty funny that almost every thing she opened she would say," Is this what I've always ever wanted?"


IMG_0508

IMG_0516

IMG_0506


This little man was so stinkin' excited too! It was fun watching him get so tickled.


IMG_0531

IMG_0552

Ok so all the cousins were excited to see the gifts. You can see my little lady is starting to get tired here. Love this next shot that Aunt Em captured of her sweet little feet. A BIG FAT thank you to Aunt Em again for taking most of the pictures this night!!!


IMG_0550

Ok so if I am going to be perfectly honest I was hoping for a really excited face when she opened our gift. After all I had bought it months and months before and was really proud of myself for waiting to give it to her. And I guess she had run out of her suprised look even though she did have a excited reaction to the p.j.'s i picked up for her the day before.


IMG_0553

But she really put on the fake smile for this one. It's amazing how you still love their smile even if it's fake. But I will tell you that after the party was over this is something she played with A LOT. I knew she would. But there were a lot of other really cool things keeping her attention that night.


IMG_0554

IMG_0555

IMG_0557

And for the grand finale (now that's a real smile!) she got a printed out note from Nana and Pappy that can remind her that she will be taking a trip to Disney in the near future and she couldn't be more excited. A bunch of her cousin's have been and she has heard so much about how fun it is. So we are really excited for her to have that experience with her precious grandparents. Thanks again Mom and Dad for wanting to do that for her!


It was a lovely night with all our family and we couldn't ask for more. Our precious little lady is growing up and we trust the Lord with all the wonderful blessings and fun times that are ahead and spending them with her!!


Next up "the rest of the night" sleep over part of the party!


5 comments:

emily said...

you did a GREAT job with her party!!! the decorations were just perfect. it was so much fun to be a part of her birthday, and i so enjoyed watching karina open her presents. :) she was hilarious and adorable all in one. love you!!

nancygrayce said...

You are just super talented and creative! I absolutely love the cake and all the decorations! Espcecially the pom poms! Karina just grows more beautiful each year! She is indeed a blessing.

love you!

heatherfrost said...

What a CUTE party! Just love her dress! You guys must have had SO much fun!! The decor is beautiful!

Technodweeb said...

Kristie-- I actually teared up at her note she's going to Disney World!

Happy Birthday Karina!

-Bridget

Wendy said...

Happy Birthday to Karina! Looks like such a grown up little party. Karina sure is looking like her daddy these days. Miss you guys!