Monday, April 19, 2010

on the ranch

I was so excited to see how Karina would be this year going to the strawberry fields. She was only two and a half last year when we went and so I knew it would be kinda silly to even try taking her down the long rows of berries and expect her to be interested. So we did the easy thing and bought a batch already picked. But this year was very different. She was excited with me and though that excitement lasted as long as it took her to find some yummy berries to dig her teeth into I still enjoyed every minute.

It was also fun to have my sister in law come along with her kids. Her sweet son Ethan was really good at picking berries even after the girls had lost interest and picking along side him made me think of how fun it will be when Karina is even a little older next time.

This picture is proof enough that these berries were beautiful!! I couldn't help but eat some myself! (Yes we were given permission to eat a few.)

My little lady inspecting the fruit!

And continuing with the inspection. :)


We even found another little one inspecting for us....


After the girls had their fill and had picked their grass to "feed to the cows" they started the trek back to the animals.


I made sure our box was nice and full as I walked with the girls.

My mom and my sister got there a little after we did and so these are ones I took of them out in the fields. I love this one of my oldest niece Natalie. I love how she looks deep in thought and is probably, like her mom, trying to find the prettiest and the best berries. :)


Then it was onto some fun little games they had. Karina had never played horse shoes before but what a pose right?!


I guess we could have told the girls that you both stand on the same side to avoid injury. But no children were harmed in the taking of this picture. Karina was so proud when she scored!

This ranch had a nice little collection of animals and just enough to amuse my little animal lover.



This beehive was a pretty neat new addition. The bright blue one is the queen bee.


My sweet strawberry girl!


All the cousins!!


These baby calves were so cute but I think we might have scared them a bit with a flock of excited kids!

Then it was on to a fun wagon ride around the ranch! It was a bumpy one but fun none the less. The kids loved it and after this everyone was ready for lunch.


Karina loves her Yia Yia!!

I love all these big kids!!

Can you tell it was a lovely day? The weather was PERFECT! It was just cool enough that you didn't get hot. And those berries!! Oh man were they delicious!!!

After a wonderful time on the ranch Karina headed home with my mom. While I went to meet some dear friends to celebrate one of their birthdays over a really yummy lunch. Later that night when Jeff was headed home I called him to ask if he would stop to buy some cool whip and angel food cake. And this is what we made! Man oh man was it good!!! There is something so fulfilling about enjoying the FRUITS of your labor!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I loved this post! It makes me want to go pick some strawberries, I am thinking about attempting making strawberry jam, we'll see if I actually get to it! I love Karina's shirt, did you make it? Kristie, I love your blog, your pictures, the way you write... you seem so content, happy, and full of joy! You are an example to me, I see Christ in you! So THANK YOU!!!