Sunday, December 9, 2007

Oh Christmas tree, oh Christmas tree...

Well here is our decorated tree. I really enjoyed putting all the ornaments on and would you guess that I bought most of them at the Dollar Tree? They actually have a pretty good selection if you go early enough in Nov.-Dec. There are some that are very special to me that my sister gave us last year. They are the two pewter ones with our pictures in them. Jeff's grandmother has also given us some ornaments that are dear to me that she especially took the time to make herself. As I've sat and enjoyed looking at those things that bring family to mind I also think about the tree and what it in itself reminds me of. I am reminded of the very first bed of my Lord and savior Jesus Christ that was born in a stable so very long ago. It must've been made of a wooden horse trough and filled with straw. Then I flash a few years forward to when Jesus would just be old enough to watch his dad Joseph, a carpenter, building and creating things out of wood and desiring for his son to learn at his side. Then how many a wooden table He sat at with his disciples as they shared a meal. Oh to sit at His feet and hear Him speak words of wisdom. And never forgetting the old wooden cross He bore and hung upon to pay the penalty for my sin. But oh the joyous day when he rose from the grave and after ascending into heaven He continued to give His inspired Word, recorded on paper from some old tree, for all of us to read and understand with His Holy Spirit guiding us with the Truth. So on this Sunday night as I sit in my cozy living room that I am so thankful to God for I also thank Him for the many ways He shows me himself in the simple things.
We ended up putting the tree up on a table in the corner of the living room that Karina can't get to because the couches block it off. :)

This is the ornament that my sister gave to me and Jeff last year and yes I had to string some popcorn for old times sake. We used to do it when I was young and I have grown to love the vintage look it gives the tree.

This is the little ornament my sister gave to Karina and I love the little baby shoe that hangs from it.

This is the star I found at Target and it is absolutely perfect to me. It was just what I was looking for and I was so glad when I found it and didn't have to spend weeks looking in different stores.

This wreath was made from scraps from the tree when we bought it and had them cut of quite a bit from the bottom. I also was able to make another wreath for the front door and a swag for another doorway in our house. So it's been a lot of fun and I hope you all have a had a good time making your homes all nice and cozy for the Christmas season. I pray that as we have others into our homes that they would not only see a lovely and warm setting but that they would sense and know the love of God that lives in our hearts and that it would shine brightly to a lost and dying world. Merry Christmas everyone!!

2 comments:

nancygrayce said...

You're right, with the tree on the table, it looks really big!! It is beautiful and I love the star....I also love the way you made wreaths from the scraps! You are such a creative woman! Has Karina tried climbing on the couch to get to it yet?

Jayne Thomsen said...

It's all so lovely, just like you.
Thank you for sharing!! I'm inspired and blessed. Love you!